Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Amen.

That was the final word of the opening prayer at the inauguration ceremony for our 44th president of the United States. I still believe hormones played a large part in my reaction but still the same I wept. It was such a beautiful, hopeful, inspiring, and reverent prayer that by the time he was done I truly was overwhelmed with emotion. Whether or not the man you voted for on Nov. 2nd won is truly irrelevant at this point- What is is your response. Do you rejoice, do you choose to believe, do you decide to hope for more and better in the coming days, months, and years. I do. Here's to brighter days, whatever that may mean for you. I hope you choose, if nothing else, to be happy.

I know I have hope.

Amen.


Someone who will write this to the most important possessions he holds can't be all that bad. Give him a chance. Give hope, happiness, and those brighter days ahead.... a chance.


http://www.parade.com/export/sites/default/news/2009/01/barack-obama-letter-to-my-daughters.html

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I totally agree with you Robin. You know me...I'm not a religious or even very spiritual person but there was something very moving about the entire inaugural ceremony. Although I caught a number or hypocritical statements the reverend made I still felt like most of what he said was spectacular. Especially in reference to the history being made that day! Not only do we have a new president, we have one that will hold this country's citizens accountable for their actions, help the young people of the country get excited about what THEY can do and prove that the antiquated views that so many of our fellow countrymen hold can be thrown out the window and they can trust in the equality and goodness of EVERY person. Regardless of race and heritage. I believe this is the biggest step our country has ever made and I welcome the challenges that Obama is presenting us!!!

Yay for democracy and yay for moving in the right direction! The change is here!!!!

P.S. I especially loved when the reverend said the President's girls' names. Meleah and SAASSSHHHAA!!

Michele said...

I haven't had a chance to watch the Inaugural Ceremony yet. But I will. I actually can't wait after all the comments I heard about it yesterday. Change is already in the air - good change. You can feel it. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

Finlayson said...

Oh I am so glad you have a blog for my blog stocking days!! Maybe soon I will get one!! I love you!!
Andrea

Mandy said...

Amen sista! I just have one question about the whole ingauration day. Who the HELL was that poet lady at the end of the program. And if you know- will you please enlighten me on what she even said???

Yay for change. I sincerely hope that Obama can do what he hopes he can do. I am supporting him, because if not- then I am no better than Rush. Okay, I am totally better than Rush, I was just trying to make a point.

Mama Bird said...

Mandy, I think she made some sort of nuclear retaliation threat so they gave her 4.4 min. at the pulpit. She was a train wreck.. I am so greatful that you brought this up because I thought I was the only one listening to an over animated kindergarten teacher rambling on & on & on & 0n....... you get it:) I never did figure out what exactly it was she was trying to say!